I recently had the great opportunity to read and review Randy Alcorn’s new book Managing God’s Money. Randy is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries and the author of over forty books, including The Treasure Principle and Heaven.
Managing God’s Money deals with the whole spectrum of Christian stewardship, and addresses issues like insurance and inheritance, gambling, saving, investing, giving and debt. And, in true Alcorn style, the theme of stewardship is woven throughout the book.
What I Liked About Managing God’s Money
1. This book makes sure the proper foundation is laid for good financial planning. That foundation, of course, is our understanding that nothing we have is ours. Our money is really God’s money. As such, we need to understand how we should handle what the Master has entrusted to his stewards. This book helps you get that mindset firmly rooted in Scripture.
2. Alcorn offers some very challenging words throughout the book on fighting against our culture of materialism. He cleverly calls materialism the disease of “affluenza”.
3. I particularly liked the back of the book, which provided some common sense answers to questions about debt, retirement funds, investing, and leaving an inheritance. I thought his words on giving money now compared to leaving it to good causes when we die provided a good challenge and great clarity.
4. There’s been a response recently to materialism within some Christian circles that has to do with creating a simple lifestyle. Randy provides a great distinction between a simple lifestyle and a strategic one:
Simple living may be self-centered. Strategic living is Kindgom-centered.
If I’m devoted to “simple living,” I may reject a computer because it’s modern and nonessential. But if I live a strategic lifestyle, the computer may serve as a tool for Kingdom purposes.
How You Can Benefit from Managing God’s Money
This book will help you establish a good foundation for financial planning. What it won’t do is provide a practical, step-by-step guide on the “How To’s”.
What the book will do is challenge your paradigm, challenge your heart motives, and offer a clear description of what the Bible has to say about the way we handle our money – as stewards.
You will particularly find Section V helpful, which deals with questions on debt, savings, retirement accounts, gambling, investing, and leaving an inheritance.
You will also enjoy the practical examples of how to teach your children about money in Section VI.
Get Your FREE Copy Today!
The folks at Eternal Perspective Ministries were kind enough to give 3 Free Books to readers of Redeeming Riches! Here’s what you need to do to win:
- “Like” Redeeming Riches on Facebook
- Share this on Twitter, or on Facebook by hitting the “like” button below
- Leave a comment below and include a valid email address.
Entries will be taken up until 11:59 pm EDT on Wednesday, July 27. Winners will be randomly selected on Thursday, July 28 and notified by the email left in the comments. Winners must respond within 48 hours of notification or we will select another winner.